Webinar Title: Isometrics in Rehabilitation and Sports Performance Training: Practical Applications for the Upper Extremity Rehab Professional
Eric Keene, PT, DPT, OCS, CFMT, CSCS, CAFST
After manual muscle testing a patient and finding a weak muscle, how do you decide what load to start with? Honestly, most times I used to take a guess and then ask the patient how it felt. That can work, but that can be a time-consuming process of finding the right load to get the benefits that therapeutic exercise can give. When we were in school, we were taught to use isometrics for manual muscle testing and low-level exercise; however, in some of the highest levels of sports science, isometrics are being used to dramatically improve strength and power. Where is the disconnect? In this webinar, we are going to reframe isometrics to show:
- How to start the patient with the right load to get the desired effects.
- How to use a novel, objective and cost-effective shoulder isometric strength test along with traditional manual muscle testing.
- Highlight the benefits of isometric training and how you can use it to help your shoulder patients decrease pain, improve strength and improve tendon health.
- Discuss paradigm shifting principles in home exercise adherence to make a lasting positive impact in your patient's life.
Upon completion of this course, participants will:
- Identify the limitations of traditional manual muscle testing
- Progress and cluster traditional manual muscle testing with more objective testing like the minicrane-scale and ActivForce 2 in practice
- Identify the benefits of isometrics for shoulder patients
- Discuss talking points with patients for improving home exercise program adherence
Originally Presented: November 2023
CE Credit: 1.0 continuing education hours, or 0.10 CEUs
Student Members $20
Student Non-Members $30
* The ASHT Webinar Committee conducts an audit of webinars to ensure that the content is keeping up with the latest science and research. Please note that this webinar may be updated in the future. At that time, the purchased webinar will no longer be available for view.